We did our small thanksgiving a little early (today), because J has his family’s one on Monday (the real day). I’m not a big fan of the smell of roasting turkey, to the point that it makes me pretty nauseous, so I’ll be skipping the big family event tomorrow and spending it chopping cranberries finely and sprinkling them all over one of Emmie’s wet food cakes in an attempt to be Thanksgiving festive.
picture by Eye of Einstein on Flickr used under CC
Last year I prepared a feast for myself, and ate it while house/cat sitting during other people’s long weekend getaways. This time, I tried to cook, while fasting for Yom Kippur, preparing a Break Fast meal (vegan matzo ball soup), and also cat sitting during other people’s long weekend getaways. Goal for next year: leave town. (I’m kidding… or am I?) Real goal for next year: Invite people over for a Turkey-less vegan thanksgiving.
My menu this year includes:
– Cornbread Muffins, solely because I love them and they make me happy.
– Onion gravy from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau’s 30 Day Vegan Challenge
– Grapefruit Blackpepper Cranberry Sauce based a bit on last year’s recipe
– The same cranberry stuffing from last year
– Stuffed pepper squash. Originally planned to make this cranberry-pear rice stuffing, but ended up making a lentil white rice stuffing with spiced veggies.
– The Apple Walnut Kale salad from Cupcakes and Kale listed below, except I used pecans and skipped the green onions. Remember to massage your kale!
– Two mini lentil loaves based on this recipe from My Vegan Cookbook. I skipped the red and green peppers and put celery, mushrooms, and carrots instead.
– J made a beautiful layered pumpkin pie cheesecake with an oatmeal cookie crust – I’m sure there will be more pictures of this one, once it cools.
– I made an apple crumble pie, also with the oatmeal cookie crust from Fat Free Vegan (except I put a mix of applesauce and olive oil in my crust – so not fat free! hurrah!)
I was so happy with the end result, my plate was covered in delicious food, and by the end of my meal I was pleasantly full, and not in a food coma.
A Savory Seitan Kale Galette from Happy Vegan.
An Apple Walnut Kale Salad from Cupcakes and Kale.
Pear Crisp Muffins from Where the Veggies Are adapted from Happy Herbivore
Gluten Free Baked Oatmeal Cranbery Pudding on xGFx via Ricki over at Diet, Dessert, and Dogs
Thanksgiving Ideas from It Ain’t Meat Babe
Sweet Potato Casserole from What Your Momma Didn’t Know.