I recently signed up for a “Foodie Penpal” program, and I thought… hey this would be awesome for vegan food bloggers, we’ve got a great community, we like sharing our sometimes strange or exciting discoveries, and we’re all around great people (okay, I’m biased).
Like most food penpal programs (and sure, there are lots out there) this relies on participants to mail out interesting food items and other treats to some other swapper every month, maybe something special to your local area, maybe something you found, maybe even a homemade treat.
How It Works:
1. Sign up by clicking on the sign up link on this page. Please remember that this is for Canadian Residents only.
2. On/around the 7th of the month, you’ll receive an e-mail from me containing the name and e-mail address of your Vegan Food Swap match. You’ll need to contact them to get their mailing address and any food specifics (allergies, gluten-free, etc.)
3. Collect items that you’ve purchased or made and box them up. Let’s keep the spending limit under $15 Canadian. This does not include shipping. Look into flat rate shipping options or let me know if you want someone closer to your area and I will try to accommodate.
4. Please include a written or typed note in your package.
5. By the 15th of the month, ship your package to your Vegan Food Swap match.
6. Please let your partner know you received the package.
7. Around the end of the month, post an entry on your blog about what you received, and be sure to include a shout-out (and a link back) to the person who sent you the box! Please also include a link to the sign up page!
8. This is a vegan food swap. Please read labels, please be considerate – do not send milk, meat, eggs, honey, wool, silk, leather, or other animal ingredients to your swap buddy. There are lots of other food swaps out there, this is meant as a vegan scavenger hunt. Find cool vegan things and share them with someone else (and all of us!)
9. Get creative. Cliff bars, fruit bars, and the like are cool and all, but no matter where you live there are lots of accidentally vegan, homemade, and other interesting local things you can send to your partner. Let me know if you need ideas.
I’ll assume you want to participate every month, but expect an email around the beginning of the month to confirm. Please reply to this email! If you wish to opt-out for a month, or stop participating entirely, just send me an email I’m adaptable.
Each participant is responsible for actually participating, unless you’ve opted out. If you fail to receive a box, please don’t be mad, but please let me know and email your partner.
You’ll get a confirmation email shortly after you subscribe!
Terms and Conditions of Vegan Food Swap. (yes, I’m totally serious)
By signing up to participate in Vegan Food Swap, you are hereby agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- Condition 1: You will contact the person you are matched with withing 72 hours of receiving your match to discuss dietary needs, allergies and food preferences.
- Condition 2: You will make an effort to meet the dietary needs of your penpal. This is a vegan food swap, so please make sure that everything you are sharing is vegan. If your new vegan pal has allergies, please don’t send them stuff they are allergic to. This is common sense, but seriously folks, be nice! This goes both ways, partners need to make reasonable requests. this is supposed to be a fun swap, so if your requirements are too strict then maybe this swap isn’t for you.
- Condition 3: You will mail your box by the 15th of the month. Make note of the tracking number and share it with your partner if you’d like to.
- Condition 4: In the event that you do not receive a package, I’m sorry, but MeShell and her various aliases and anyone else involved in organizing this stuff, cannot be held responsible for it. By agreeing to participate in this vegan food swap you have to accept that there is no guarantee that you will receive a package. The mail gets lost, and your partner might fail to deliver, and it sucks, so don’t be that guy. Just let me know if you can’t participate. Please send me an email or tweet (@mdgee) if you don’t receive anything.
- Condition 5: I insist that you have fun with this. Be nice, be kind, be friendly. Thank you.