I think cornbread might be one of my favourite foods, I’ve tried it in so many different varieties, sweet, spicy, salty, grilled, toasted, and everyone one of them has qualities I just love. This recipe is for sweet and spicy cornbread muffins. They make a great morning snack and pair wonderfully with the chili recipe I made the other day.
- First thing was to thaw out my frozen corn kernels and heat up my flax seed. With the flax seed it’s a 1:3 ratio of ground flax seed to water, so 2 Tbsps of flax and 6 Tbsps water, let it boil for a little bit, and make sure to stir it, then set it aside.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, salt, paprika, sugar, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl mix together the soymilk, vegetable oil and the flax seed mixture.
- add the wet to the dry ingredients, throw in the corn kernels, mix everything together until everything is moistened.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full, and sprinkle a little bit of red pepper flakes on top (if you want to crack a little bit of salt on top too, it tastes great.)
- leave in the oven 20-25 minutes (check to see if the tops are firm before taking it out!)
- Take out, eat, and enjoy.